Thursday 23 September 2010

Running in the Rain...



Newcastle last night, and as I'm now "back in the saddle" I decided I'd better find myself somewhere to run as I'm likely to be here most weeks foir the foreseeable future.

I was staying on the quayside so I set off up-river on a nice riverside path. Google Earth suggested it went a fair way up, so I was hoping to run for 2 miles or so. Taking Martyn Speight's advice to do speed efforts but less of them in the early days, I'd decided to do 3x1/2 mile efforts at about 80%. This proved to be about 6:30 pace for the first one, and 6:20 for the second (steady, Tiger...). The path, it tirned out, only went for 1.9m so I was going to have to run back past the hotel to get my 4m in.

By this time it was lashing it down, but it was nice and cool, so after my 3rd effort passed at just under 6:10 pace I decided to carry on to do 5 miles, keeping he pace down at 8min mile pace or so.

Due to mathematical dyslexia I arrived back at the hotel with 5.4m on the watch so caried on to make it a round 6.

A nice run, pleased with the efforts that didn't feel too "eyeballs out" and glad to have broken my "running-in-Newcastle" duck. Legs feel pretty much fully recovered from Sunday now, so a day off to eat curry and have a beer tonight, then a longish run after work tomorrow.

Happy days...

No comments:

Post a Comment