Sunday 6 January 2013

Still going!

After my slippy sloppy fally-over run on the canal on Friday I decided that I quite like flat running - just not flat running in mud.  So I roped The Herb (reluctantly) into a Saturday morning "long" run.  Unwilling to do battle with the bogs of Broughton Rd stretch we drove down to my old stamping ground in Silsden and set off towards Bingley.  Very steady, very chatty and very not muddy.  Lovely.

We'd agreed to turn round at 30 minutes (well I did say "long" not a naked, un-inverted-comma-ed long), and I must say I'd thought we'd do well to get the Riddlesden swing bridge, but in the end we got a fair bit further and turned just about bang on 3.5 miles.

The run back was a wee bit slower, but we were pretty happy with 7 miles at a gloriously pootly pace of 8:40.  Still - that makes over 15 miles in my first 4 days (and I'm always hungry because I'm eating better too - this'd better be worth it, Fred...).

Then today, wanting to take advantage of a rare dry day (and a series of dry nights - I've given up beer as well) we went out with the Skipton club in our new long-sleeved tops.  After our exertions we''d decided that we'd go with the B group, so when we got down to Dave F's and found only five other blokes, all looking lean and speedy (apart from Bob, obviously) we realised we were now, reluctantly, "out with the A team".  Oh bugger.

"Still," we thought, "we can always cut it short.".  Unfortunately the chosen route didn't really give a lot of cutting short options, so in the end we stuck it out.  Gargrave, West Marton, Barlick, up onto Pendle then back via Downham (cup of tea, no cake - of which more later), Bolton-by-Bowland and Hellifield.

It was after Hellifield that two things happened; I realised I was utterly shagged out, and Iain V-T started getting punctures.  I can't imagine the two were connected, but I suspect my condition was caused by a lack of cake (and being very, very unfit) and Iain's by crap tyres.

Anyway - when he had his third I'm afraid a desperate need for food and Herb needing to get home meant we carried on.  The climb through Stirton was hideous - bottom gear, cramping up, so slow I was lucky to remain upright.

However we did it - just over 50 miles in the "Bank of Fred", to be withdrawn some time in May on Hardknott...

Onward and upwards, as they say...


No comments:

Post a Comment