Saturday 7 May 2011

D'oh!!!

I've done a bit of exercise this week, but not a lot.  My blisters have been sore (til Wednesday) and my legs have been sore (til Friday) so I managed a cycle commute and a ploddy (although I did a couple of 7:15 miles just to show I could) 5 miles on Friday evening.

The week's "event" was the West Riding Classic, a new sportive based in Clapham near Ingleton.  I picked The Herb up aftre battling with my new towbar and my bike rack, then we were away about 9 o'clock.

Ingleborough from Kingsdale.  I ran(ish) up that bugger last week.


We had a decent run over to Ingleton then a bit of a battle over to Kingsdale before we crested the watershed and saw this:

 
The view down into Dentdale
Stunning (and a great deal more stunning than that picture looks).  Once in Dentdale we turned east and realised that there was "a bit of a breeze" blowing.  It got tougher and tougher, and Herb started to struggle with his bad back, so the decision was taken that we'd do the 60 mile route instead of the 75 miler.

The pull up to Newby Head was really hard, but once we turned down towards Ribblehead the speed and the spirits rose.  And why wouldn't they?

Ribblehead with Whernside in the background.  I ran(ish) up that bugger last week as well.
After we turned at Ribblehead the wind got stronger and Herb really started to struggle - he's definitely a lot bike fitter than me and I was leaving him almost at will.  Eventually after a couple of stretch stops we hit Horton and the feed.  Lovely soup, a cup of coffee and a quick check of may wallet left me energised...and terrified.  I'd carefully put Karen's car key in my wallet and put the wallet in my jersey pocket.  Sadly I was in my car not Karen's, which was sat, unlocked, with the key in the armrest, in the car park in Clapham.

Herb suggested going back and I didn't need much persuading - the weather was looking ominous and I could imagine the pain of making 5 years loan repayments on a car that'd been nicked.  A brilliant blast through Helwith Bridge and Austwick quickly saw us back at the car park and my still immobile car, so we handed in our chips and went home after an enjoyable but interrupted 40 mile ride.  And it lashed it down 10 minutes after we finished.

A good event, and one we'll go back to, and well done to Bob for getting round the full 75 mile route.

No comments:

Post a Comment