Sunday 5 December 2010

Sticking at it in the snow


 Having said we'd escaped the worst of the snow last weekend, it arrived with a vengeance in the Dales this week, with several quite big dumps.  I've managed to keep running, just, although the mileage has suffered a bit.  Well a lot, actually...

Tuesday saw me on the canal at lunch for 5 miles at around 8 min pace, then on Friday I did the same run, but this time in my Microspikes.  These are fast fitting min-crapons that make a huge difference on packed snow or ice.  I ran a half mile warm up then three comfortable miles at around 7:10 pace - no way I would have dared run that fast in trail shoes.

Spent yesterday driving to Barnsley and back to test drive a car for K, then today dawned clear and cold after a minor thaw.  Off road was the decision, but with a Christmas tree to put up, sledging to be done and a dog to be romped, it had to be shortish.

I decided to run over the crag the short way, so up via Eastby and back past the reservoir.  Harder climbing than out normanl route, but much shorter.  I messed up my Garmin stopping to take pictures, but I reckon it's just short of 4 miles but with a fair bit of climbing - maybe 800' or so.  The snow was fairly deep in a couple of places, but all runnable, and apart form a short section on the descent I didn't feel I needed my spikes on.

Must get some miles done this month though - last december was almost 120 miles of running.  It's the 5th and I've managed a whole 9!

1 comment:

  1. Might well have seen you today, Andy. But instead I was trying to run on the hills on the skyline in your last photo..... which proved unsuccessful for me.
    Well done to you though. I'll be back on the road, tomorrow! Fed up of the white snuff! Terry

    ReplyDelete