Sunday 5 June 2011

Meh...

Suffering from a large dose of blog apathy recently, and a little bit of exercise apathy too.  I've been ticking over ok, running a bit (including a really good progressive 10 miler last week with miles from 7:40 to 6:20), and riding my bike more than of late.  It's a combination of not really having much to aim for (Great North Run, charity bike ride to work, but nothing to stir the soul) and also work getting...well...not busier just more complicated.  Potential restructures, salary reviews for people - all takes up energy and time, so I've had a bit of a tendency to just go schlonk when I get home.

Anyway - this isn't some sort of confessional where I'm going to promise to ride 100 miles and run 40 miles a week.  I'm just determined to give myself the opportunity to do something most days and then take it.

So this week will be running tomorrow and Tuesday, probably a day off Wednesday, then a game of golf (sorry - I know it doesn't count) and either a bike to work or a run home Friday.  Sunday's the Roses Round which is 70 miles or so, which will be a good indicator if Herb and I are ok for our ride to work (120 miles, I think) at the beginning of July.

Today was a nice 40 miler with Ilkley CC - out to Hampsthwaite via Almscliff, then back via Menwith Hill and Norwood Edge.  Herb and I (and a couple of others) are kind of stuck somewhere between the A and B groups - 40 miles at an average of just under 16mph is fine, but there's a lot of stopping and starting as there are a few folks who struggle, especially on the hills.  We've decided to give the B group another few weeks then looks at blowing out of our arses with the A team later in the summer.

The Ilkley CC team with Almscliff in the background

There were a couple of punctures today, which made it even slower, but whilst it's not frustrating as such, it's clear that if we're going to get fitter we need to be getting pushed a bit more than we are with this group.  Which is a bit like "the story of my life" training-wise at the moment - I'm not really pushing myself or being pushed - maybe I need an "objective"...

No comments:

Post a Comment