Sunday 10 April 2011

Taper week - 5 Milers R Us

After a couple of 5 milers on Monday and Tuesday I have mostly spent the week running lots more 5 milers!  Wednesday was 5 on the canal, Thursday was 5 and a bit round Hyde Park (very warm!) and Friday was going to be (shock horror!) 6 miles on the canal.

However - 4 1/2 miles in and cruising at about 7:20 pace and A Thing Happened.  My foot started to hurt - very odd.  Not muscular, more like the feeling you get when your laces are too tight.  So I loosened my laces.  But it still hurt.  I bailed out and ran back to the car the short way for another 5 and a bit miles, and decided to ease off til next Sunday.

I'm not sure whether it was just tight laces, or running at a slightly faster pace (I've been running quite a bit at 7:10-7:30 this week) or whether I have some bizarre injury (least likely, given that I can't feel it at all now). 

So today Herb and I decided to get out and do some easy bike miles.  Utterly glorious day, and the new wheels are on my summer bike, so off we went over Halton Heights.  What a difference a bike makes!  I'd forgotten how responsive my Cannondale is - up on the pedals and instant acceleration.  Halton Heights and the road over to Burnsall were easy peasy, and even the steep little beastie before the Cav Pav was a sit down and spin jobby.

Climbing up past Eastby Crag to Halton Heights
 Descending to Burnsall

A cup of tea in the sun, then a blast back up past Hesketh Farm and back home to cut the grass.  Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment