Saturday 9 February 2013

Back off the road again

Herb and I have settled into a nice routine of an early(ish) long(ish) run on a Saturday morning, and we've decided to alternate flat "on road" (well, on towpath) weeks with off-road runs up on the fell.

Plan today was a 9am start, and I was grateful of my continued abstinence from alcohol - I was hosting/compering an awards thing at work last night with a free bar and lots of very drunk people.  I did my bit (comedy gold in case you were wondering) then drove home for about 10:30.

I did get a call from Herb at 8:45 n he was up to his ankles in poo as their drain's blocked again, so it was half nine before me, him and Izz set off to Halton East.

The pull up the green lane was slippy, and Herb struggled gratifyingly, so even if Hinsley gave me a bit of a spanking last week I can at least rely on Herb to make me feel better.  Through the gate Izzy disgraced herself by having "an incident" with a sheep, so it was back on the lead for the rest of the run.  I think I need to start taking some treats with me, as whilst she behaves immaculately off the lead on the road, when there's sheep or (worse) birds about she shoots off and can't seem to control herself - I wonder if a pocketful of smelly goodies might help.

Elevation - have we run over the Eiger?
Anyway, we did the public footpath route over the fell past the shooting butts, and got home wet, muddy and slightly sweaty after just over an hour.  This is a great run - and one I should start doing after work some times - the pull up onto the moor is good for the legs, and it's just about long enough to feel like a decent effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment