Tuesday 1 February 2011

Eee, that were 'ard...

'Ard mentally and 'ard physically, actually.  Plan was to get out at 4ish to get an hour of daylight, but meetings intervened, so at about 4:45 I made use of our splendid new changing facilities at work - so much nicer than having The Herb's arse in your face as you ratch around trying to find your socks.

The darkness made it mentally tough to get out, and still sore legs from the weekend meant I was looking for excuses to run slower than The Plan said.  I set off with 10 miles in mind, but not sure what the efforty bit would look like (if indeed there'd be any efforty bit at all).

In the end I warmed up for a mile then just set off at something that felt "a bit faster".  This turned out to be just under 7 min pace, so a couple of miles went by at 6:55 or so.  One of my options had been to run 3x2m efforts with some recoveries, but in the end I just kept going into the increasingly strong wind. turning just before the watch beeped for 4 miles. 

The wind helped on the way back so the pace increased whilst the effort didn't, so in the end I finished with a 6m effort averaging 6:52 pace, 10 more miles in the bank and a decidedly sore lower back.  I think the back pain is a result of running over frozen, rutted ground on Sunday, so hopefully a couple of days of steady running up in the north east (one of which should be in daylight!) will see it loosen off before Friday's Big One.

Gulp...

No comments:

Post a Comment