Tuesday 24 January 2012

Brrr...



Did the hilly five miler from work yesterday with the Newmanator and its inventor and inspiration, Chris Tomes.  The route, henceforth known as The Reverse Tomes, is the run up through the Mortons to the top of the moor, then back down through Riddlesden to a flat couple of miles on the canal.  It's a Reverse Tomes as the first time I ran it we went the other way round, which is a flat couple of miles then a stupidly steep climb up and then a ridiculously easy run back down to work.  The Reverse Tomes gives a long climb with a few steep bits, then a short steep descent, good for leg speed, then a flat finish that you can run hard or easy.

Anyway... the three of us set off after a bit of a debate about clothing.  I went for pertex, Tomes went for a gilet and The Newmanator went for a t-shirt.  Win to me - sleet and a stinking headwind on the way up left me slightly concerned for Tim's welfare.  Nevertheless the little trooper made it and we enjoyed a speedy descent and a reasonably brisk couple of miles back.  A good, but chilly lunchtime.

Then today it was that perfect combination for a ride into work - wet AND cold.  Obviously there's just a touch of irony in my use of the word "perfect" - it was bloody awful.  The Herb and I distracted ourselves by alternately talking about how "it's much worse when it's windy" and trying to make each other fall off by not paying attention and swerving into each other's way.

Separate rides home, and I was quite pleased with how strong I felt considering I've only had two days off running or biking in the last 20.  I suspect there was some wind assistance but I actually got home quicker than we went in - a very unusual "negative split" for a bike commute.

London tomorrow - hopefully a pootle round a park or two, then track Thursday if I can get back in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment