Friday 13 August 2010

A better week, but a sore calf (again)

Seedhill on Wednesday as promised and it proved good to be back on track.  It was busier than last time I was there (which I think was February!) but with The Newmanator and Hinsley along for the ride we decided on a relatively gentle reintroduction with 6x800m off 200m recoveries.  Plan was originally to run at c40min 10k pace with Rich, and see if he could hang on.  That's roughly 1:35 per lap, but as we went through the fist one in 1:28 and feeling not overly stretched I adapted the target to 1:30's.

This proved slightly more stretching, but even off relatively short (65-70s) recoveries I managed to hang on to almost the target pace, with the traditionally tough rep just after half way being the slowest
I had a slightly tight spot at the top of my left calf towards the end, but nothing that felt too serious, however I popped some ice on it afterwards.

The plan was then to run home on Thursday as that's the last day of the working week with today being a day off.  I set off feeling fine, and with no trouble from my left calf, but after about 5 miles my right calf tightened up - nothing approaching the pulls I've had in the past, but having learned from that I decided to bail out - fortunately The Dazzler, a workmate, was driving my car home, so I called him and got picked up on the Aire Valley by-pass - so my first run home ended at 7 miles, but at a comfortable 7:50 pace I don't think I've done any damage.  I've dug my ridiculous compression socks out for this weekend's gentle fell bimble up at Barbon though, so hopefully no lasting damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment