Saturday 7 August 2010

A quick slow one between showers

One of the effects of this not being very fit business, and one I'd forgotten about as it's a while since I've been this blobby, is that getting out becomes a mental effort, even when it's an easy run.

So it was today - mooched around doing all sorts of stuff to avoid getting out (and going for a run is a displacement activity for the stuff I should be doing, which is reading 250 pages of corporate governance guff in preparation for our forthcoming merger), but eventually at about 4 o'clock I ran out of other things to do.

Plan was for a short, easy run, so off up towards Halton East I trotted, looking to keep the HR nice and low, which proved to be something around 8 min pace.  When I got there I decided to do a loop round the village rather than just turn round, so I ended up with 4.5m at just about bang on 8 min pace.  HR averaged 127, which is ok given the pace and the fact it's undulating, even though it's pancake flat compared to the Garfagnana.

My legs have noticed something's changed - more activity and more weight to carry whilst doing it - so they're feeling the last couple of days, but I think I'll take them out for another trot tomorrow to get a decent start to the "new me" campaign.

Bike's back from the menders with shiny new gear cables, a greased headset and (according to Mr Mender) a shagged back wheel. Having given it a bit of a wobble it does feel a wee bit goosed, so I've been perusing the information superhighway for some new ones. I think the plan may be to get something decent but not mega, as I may splash the cash on a new summer bike next spring, so whichever wheels I end up with could well finish up on my winter bike. Current thinking is some Eastons, which I think might be the same as Our Kid got for his last bike (him changing his bikes like the rest of us change socks - pensioners, eh?).

No comments:

Post a Comment