Tuesday 8 June 2010

Another decent session

I had a slightly worrying ache in the front of my calf yesterday, which I think might have been a combination of higher mileage last week (36, I think) and a long run in my Nike Lunarglide shoes, which I've decided aren't cushioned enough for a fat lad (although to be fair it may be the fact they've got more support than the usual neutral shoes I wear).  Anyway - they're now a short run/speed sesion/pub shoe.

I didn't run or cycle yesterday, partly because of my calf, which was feeling a bit like shin splints (but on the outside, oddly) and also because I spent the morning looking after the kids as K was a at work.  However today it was back to work, and a suggestion from The Herb that he was going to run after he finished.  Moderately grotty weather put paid to my thoughts of joining the Harriers on an away run over Sharp Haw and I agreed to join him.  The Newmanator was also up for an after-work run, so we all drove down to Silsden and set off together.  The plan was for Newman to run back to the office, for me to do a 4m tempo session and The Herb to do a steady 6 miler.

We ran together as far as the canal, and then I set off at what felt fairly comfortable yet brisk.  The first mile was a surprising 6:12, and that didn't feel overly tough.  The second was a second slower, then I turned for home just up above Riddlesden Hall.  I encountered Newman after maybe 1/4 mile, who told me The Herb was running 7:30 pace, so it was unlikely I'd catch him, but with maybe half a mile of the effort left I spotted him ahead.  I actually caught him about 100yds before my watch beeped for the 4th mile, by which time I was working fairly hard, but not outrageously so - I think there was another mile available if required, although not the 8m efforts I was doing back in Feb.

The final result was a pleasing 7m total with a 4 mile tempo session with splits of 6:12, 6:13, 6:08 and 6:08.  With the warm up and down the average pace just crept over 7 min mile pace, but I was very comfortable by the time we finished and no pain from any limbs, just a slight tightness in my left calf which soon stretched off.  The only lowlight was my HRM which was utterly mental - although having been rude about Garmin yesterday I rang then and they're sending me a new HRM strap - so hopefully we'll be back to normal again soon.

Good session for us all - The Herb ran 6.2m at a sub-8min pace, and The Newmanator ran 9.4m, which is a great effort for a small bandy man.

No comments:

Post a Comment