Tuesday 1 June 2010

2 days, 1 place

A day off today to follow yesterday's bank holiday and a total contrast in the weather.  Yesterday was sunny and warm(ish), today we were back with rain and 10º.  Yesterday we did the family thing and took our bikes down to Silsden to cycle along the towpath.  First time on bigger bikes for both M & L and Lily in particular found it a great deal easier than last time when she was on 12" wheels.

We cycled along Hainsworth Lane (or "my lane" as I prefer to call it) to the canal and then past a fabulous display of rhodedendrons, fluffy ducks and several sets(?) of cygnets being kept in order by their mums.  Spring has sprung.

We stopped at the Fisherman's in Bingley for lunch, and were expecting great things from the self-declared "best food on the Leeds Liverpool Canal" - sadly there's either not much competition or they're in breach of advertising regulations, as it was pretty dire.  There are too many pubs that think because they're not charging the earth (although we still spent almost £30) they can churn out shite - and unfortunately we punters put up with it.

Hey ho.  However a grand 15m of cycling was had by all, with neither of the kids moaning too much about their legs.

Today's weather offered no possibilities for family activities beyond baking and the Wii, so I took myself off to the same location for a run.  I've decided I need to take myself in hand, as Freckleton is only three weeks away and that's supposed to be quick one.  The run on the canal from Silsden is ideal for a tempo session as you get 1.4m to warm up and down, then a decent surface for about 4m to do whatever speedwork you like.  Today I decided on 5m of effort, so after a leisurely jog to the canal I set off at what felt brisk but comfortable.  I was hoping for something around 6:30-6:40, so when the first mile was 6:23 I was fairly happy, but unsure how I'd cope later on.  I turned after 2.5m of canal to give me my 5m of effort, and actually felt better on the way back.

In the end it was ok - and I actually speeded up towards the end.  Splits were:

6:23
6:24
6:19
6:15
6:14

Added a few hundred yards on the end to make 8m total, and all done in under an hour.  A tad quicker than my midweek MP sessions back in the winter, but of course only 5m of effort instead of the 6 or 8 I was doing back then.  However I'm pretty happy to have got a decent session in, and one that I must ensure I do every week without fail - if I can run home (maybe with a twiddly bit or two) and do one of these each week, along with a few track session and some slower stuff then I should keep the base pretty solid for August when I have to start building up for Abingdon!

HR was mental again, so have emailed Garmin to ask what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment