Monday 31 May 2010

Ilkley Trail Race

Another lazyish day, but one where I feel I get some karma back - marshaling at Ilkley Trail Race.  I do so many races where other people give their time to stand on street corners clapping, it feels like I ought to do my bit when Harriers put one of their races on.  Now not being so altruistic that I want to freeze to death in the name of athletic endeavour I choose the Trail Race, a late May classic that seems to have decent weather most years.

In order to get some exercise I rode over Halton Heights and Langbar to get to Ilkley, and I must say Langbar's starting to feel ok again - I experimented with sitting down most of the way up the steep bit and only got out of the saddle for the last 50m or so.

Once at the Lido I set about finding Laurence and getting my briefing, which was to untie the gate to "the horse field" (easily identified by the large number of horses in it) then retie it after everyone had gone through.

The weather had improved from yesterday, so whilst it was a bit chilly it wasn't an unpleasant couple of hours, and apart from the sore hands from being "friendly and supportive" (as all the best marshals are) it passed pleasantly enough.



The race was won by Ilkley's Tom Adams, seen here zooming back down from the moor, and I like to think I gave Steve Coy the verbal boot up the arse he needed to catch Richard Reeve (who must be getting a bit sick of being caught on the line, as it was he I stealth sprinted past at Rothwell).

Back down to the Lido for a brew and a sausage butty, then a ride home into the stiff breeze brought up 25 miles at 15mph average and a boost to my self-esteem.  Bike ride with the kids today, then probably a few miles later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment