Sunday 23 May 2010

Some gentle cycle action

After a bit of a hangover yesterday when I did nothing except be mildly grumpy, the weather was so fab today I decided that Something Must Be Done. So having toyed with the idea of a steady run to Bolton Abbey and back I decided to cycle over to watch the ladies of the family run in the Race for Life at Broughton Hall. I wondered about riding via Grassington but the thought of the traffic put me off, so in the end I headed over Halton Heights as usual then took a right at the bottom. I hit 50mph on the descent, showing what a difference no wind makes to confidence, as we struggled to hit 40mph down here last time with a side wind.

Over Langbar, and again I felt pretty good for not having done anything since Wednesday night, then through a horribly busy Ilkley and over Addingham Moorside to Silsden.

I rode over Skipton road to Kildwick, which when I've run over there has felt like quite a substantial hill, but on a bike it's pretty short, then I hit what turned out to be the biggest climb of the day out of Cross Hills. It's actually almost 5m of uphill before the drop down into Elslack, and whilst it's never steep it certainly does go on.

A great drop into Elslack, a chip butty and some pop then I watched Lily and Karen come somewhere in the top 15 or so on what must have been a really tough day to run. Maisie and Auntie Ann strolled in about 15 minutes later, having had a rather less energetic time of it.


I then rode the 5m of so back home, giving just on 35 miles at an average speed of 14mph - but over 3,000' of ascent.

No comments:

Post a Comment