Saturday 29 May 2010

A run home and Parkrun en famille

After my 8m effort on Wednesday I wasn't sure what to do Thursday, but in the end the diary intervened and no chance to run at lunch meant I would have to go at the end of the day.  I decided that I needed to get back to doing a few miles, so as the weather was fair I got The Herb to drive my car home and determined to run to his house at the bottom of the village - about 13m.

I didn't get away til 5:15, so called K (who had a rounders match) and said I'd do my best to be home just after 7.  I'm not sure what sort of hole there is in the space-time continuum somewhere on the stairs in Crossflatts, but it was actually 5:30 when I started running.

Conditions were great, and apart from an altercation with a yappy dog owner (see what I did there?  You're not sure which one was yappy - both!) I had a great run along to the end of the cycle track.  I decided that I was going to stick with the hard stuff, so ran along "my" lane to Silsden and then over the hill to Kildwick.  Having said it's not bad on a bike, it's a long way to run, but this was about miles not pace, so I just got my head down and got on with it.

I got back to The Herb's just after 7, with the watch on 1:42, so an average pace of 7:40 which is fine given the hill in the middle.

Yesterday was a stupid o'clock start to London and a beer or two on the way back, so no running.  Then K suggested a family trip to the Parkrun today.  The Herb announced that he and his daughter were running, so amazingly Maisie decided she was running too.  Rebecca (like her father) is tall and athletic-looking, so we decided she'd run with Lily and I'd pootle along with Maisie at the back.  After a couple of hundred yards Becca was walking, so we decided to swap partners and I ran with Lily.  She was going really well today, and managed to run pretty much the whole thing and at a faster pace than previously.



She came in 24th (I think) in a watch time of 26:46, a 1:15 PB and signs of more to come - really enjoyable.  What was also great is that Maisie was enjoying herself and ran all the way back from the top of the steep hill to be a long, long way from last - so well done to her too.  K looked back to form and must've been one of the first women to finish.

A cake 'n' lucozade picnic in the bandstand afterwards made for a great morning.  I'm going to marshall at the Ilkley Trail Race tomorrow, then Hinsley's bailed on the Chester marathon, so will maybe try and get a few miles in on the moor if the weather's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment