Sunday 2 May 2010

Lumpy way to Otley



I've often thought that much as I love doing it, road cycling for pleasure is pretty illogical.  We go out when we don't need to, ride somewhere we don't need to go, and then come home again.  Today's ride to Otley added in that extra element of nuttiness - we went somewhere we didn't need to go by a route that was far from being the sensible way to get there - home to Otley the lumpy way.

A steady ride with the Herb was what was on the agenda, especially as I've been suffering with the snot-monster disease AND I was out for a meal with K last night celebrating her birthday, so when I woke up this morning and realised I'd suggested riding to Otley over three of the larger hills in the southern bit of Wharfedale I was regretting the choice of route.  Even more so as The Herb had roundly kicked my arse last time out every time the road went upwards.  However, I do not, and have never previously, lived in Harrogate, so bottling it was not on the agenda.  Long fingered gloves, 3/4 length tights and a gilet were all required, as the wind was out of the north east and quite strong.

Halton Heights was first up, and we were straight into the wind from the off.  The Herb kindly didn't zoom off and leave me on the first steep section (although a little acceleration showed he had a fair bit more in the tank if required), but I was disturbed to see another cyclist approaching the hairpins as we came out of Eastby.

"Oh shit..." I said,

"What's up?" enquired The Herb.

"You're going to chase him, aren't you?"

And chase him he did, with me just hanging onto his wheel, The Herb reeled the baggy panted mountain biker in and passed him on the steep section at the top, having taken about 100yds out of him in 1/4 of a mile.  My HR was now pumping away merrily, and any hopes of a gently pootle were over almost before we started.

The descent into the wind was slow by normal standards, and even scarier than usual as the gusty wind gave me several wobbly moments, but we were soon turning south towards Bolton Abbey.  Langbar was next on the agenda, and I realised I've not ridden over it much this year.  Last spring I seemed to ride it almost every week, as I was attempting to condition myself not to worry about it, as it comes right at the end of the White Rose, one of the sportives I did last summer.  Today it really didn't seem too bad, and I even had time to remember to check my Garmin as we started and finished the steep bit, so now I know that it's less than 2 minutes of effort.

Down into Ilkley, including a descent of Carter's Lane where I ran my 5:23 mile on Thursday, then left to Askwith and the final climb of the day up onto the Moor Road.  This proved possibly the hardest climb of the day, with a long straight climb into the wind.  It's just under a mile and a half, and on a calm day is very easy, but today it felt tough and we were glad to head down to Otley for a break at Dunnies.  A sausage, egg and tomato butty for me, a plain sausage one for The Herb and a brew each meant we were stung for a total of £2.50 - compare that with £7.50 for a sausage butty and a bowl of soup at the Cav Pav last week - with no drinks.  Someone's bonkers - just not sure who...



We rode back up the valley, through Ilkley, Nesfield, Beamsley and Bolton Abbey, before the last, wind-assisted (at last) climb through Halton East and home.  37 miles at an average of just over 14mph, with approaching 3,000' of climbing.  Looking at the elevation graph, it's interesting (for me, anyway) to see that on the way to Otley we climbed over three lumps, but each time the descent left us lower than the start point, meaning that our "flat" ride home was actually almost all uphill.  Best lie down and rest up before Rothwell tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment