Monday 15 November 2010

Back in the saddle

After a nothing weekend thanks to a  rotten cold,and something of a hangover on Sunday due to a night's carousing at the PTA disco (theme - '80's fancy dress.  I made the effort in white jacket, Hawaiian shirt, mullet wig and mirror shades.  The idea was Miami vice - but thanks to my burgeoning 'tache it was more gay German ice-cream man) I decided that unless I was actually coughing up lung material I was going out today.

This morning saw me in Leeds for my work medical - after debating the merits of the BMI system with a physiologist ("utter rubbish" was my considered view...) and confirming that I am indeed about half a stone overweight (I knew that) and my body fat % is higher than it should be (I knew that too) it was time to see the doc for the verdict.

Two bits of surprisingly good news - he decided not to stick his finger up my arse as at my age with no symptoms he couldn't see he needed to check my prostate, and secondly my cholesterol is still very low and my "good" cholesterol is very, very high - so therefore my risk of heart disease is also very low.  Encouraging for when I'm really quite porky.

After work it was time to get some real work in, so it was out onto the Riddlesden old road for a MP session.  I did just over half a mile before pressing on, and 6:45 pace felt really pretty easy for the first couple of miles.  The inclines (not really hills) were harder, but it didn't feel anywhere near as lung-busting as it has in previous sessions.  The second two miles of effort were harder, but still in control, and the last one was the fastest at 6:32.  A mile and a bit of slower running saw me finish with 6m, with 4m at MP.  Nice one.

Off to Glasgow for a dinner tomorrow, so will take my running stuff, as I expect I'll be fir for nowt on Wednesday.  No LR this week as it's Abbey Dash Sunday, so maybe a steady one tomorrow then a sharpener Thursday of Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment