Tuesday 23 November 2010

First Gosforth lunchtime run

Yesterday was a day in Gosforth, but without many meetings. Have a few new folk starting in the marketing team so thought I'd best pop up and say hello, but also as the diary was empty-ish I took my clobber and got a few lunchtime miles in. Also gave me the opportunity to try the posh showers (we're nearly there with our posh showers in Bingley, btw - dry shorts to cycle home in...mmmm).

I looked on MapMyRun and found a 6 miler involving Gosforth and the Town Moor, which appearsvto have been posted by someone who works at the same place as me as it starts and finishes by the back door. I printed off a couple of pages to keep me on the straight and narrow and set off, intending to just see how the legs were regarding pace.

After a couple of miles I realised that my careful planning had gone to ratshit and I'd gone slightly the wrong way, but my limited knowledge of north Newcastle meant I could adapt the run and still cover much of the same ground. The Town Moor is a big bit of grass, less cultivated but similar in feel to The Stray in Harrogate. Freemen of the city can apparently keep their cows on it for nothing - assume that includes Shearer and Keegan...

My run took me clockwise around the outside of the moor, with a stiffish climb along the south side. Had I gone the right way this would have been downhill, but I coped ok and didn't slow particularly.

Once back on track it turned out that my deviaton had added just over a mile onto the run, making it a pleasant 7.2m at just over 7:30 pace, which felt pretty comfortable.

I think I need to start to make the runs that have been 5 or 6 milers into 7 or 8 milers soon - building up to those crucial 10/12m midweek runs that make such a difference come M Day.

Onward and upward - London today, so no running. Maybe something speedy-ish tomorrow then a long one Friday.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment