Monday 1 November 2010

The Loneliness of the Autumnal Runner

Off up to Doxford for merger presentations today, then more of the same in Gosforth tomorrow. However due to puppy sitting duties I'm coming home at night so today I drove up and back, getting home about half six. As I'm out for Gus the Posh Bloke's leaving do tomorrow and another day up in Doxford Wednesday, today was the only hope I have to run in the first half of the week.

So it was out at about 6:40 for 5 miles up to Halton East in the spooky dark. Very gloomy tonight with lots of clouds and no moon. Last time I ran up there after dark must have been about February when there was a glorious full moon and it was like running in daylight, only in black and white. Tonight was just dark with a capital D and a big fat ARK.

Wasn't sure what I was going to do when I set off, but I just found myself pushing along a bit, and when the first mile went past in 7:35 I decided that it would be a bit of an effort session. Surprisingly the second mile was also 7:35, and as that's the hilliest bit it wasn't a shock that I was a bit pooped. I kept the pace on round the village and on the way home and finished with the average pace on 7:15. Not quite tempo pace, but it felt a bit like tempo effort - at a pace not much quicker than I'd expect to run my long slow runs at come the spring!

A good one to get out of the way before drink and travelling take their toll...

No comments:

Post a Comment