Saturday 30 October 2010

A grand long autumnal run



Didn't manage to get out for my Friday afternoon long one due to a packed diary and the need to take some golf clubs and a dinner suit (don't ask...) into work, so begged a couple of hours puppy-free time on Saturday to get my long one in.

K went out early doors, so I looked after Izz (who in my opinion is getting much, much better with wee etc and painfully cute with it - see right) and then when K took Lils swimming I went out for a run.

Not exactly sure where I was going when I set off, only that it was going to be slow with no MP nonsense, but I'd checked out a few possibilities on Google Maps beforehand.  I got to Halton East and over into Wharfedale at a steady 8 min-ish pace, then had to make a decision - downriver for an all-tarmac but less secenic excursion, or some extra-pretty fo road stuff by the Strid.  I opted for the latter as I had my camera with me and the trees were looking amazing with golds, yellows and even the odd light green still hanging on in there.




The Cav Pav is 5.25m from home, so I worked out I'd need to be on 10.75 when I got back there if I was going to get 16 in, but I was pretty sure just running up to Barden and back would be too short.  The trip through the woods was glorious as ever, and I had several stops to take pictures, dodging little people on some sort of pumpkin hunt.


Barden Bridge was, as I expected, only about 2.25m upriver from Cav Pav so I was going to be a mile or two short if I just ran home, so once I got back to the Pavilion via the far side of the river (with some amazing views from high above the Strid) I crossed back over and set off towards the A59.  I managed to spill gel all over my hands, and was still grumpy from this when I realised that I couldn't stay by the river and get down to the A59 and had to plod up some steps and then go back down to the Priory. 

I then got even grumpier when I stopped to wash my hands in the river and due to my lack of flexibility managed to slip one of my feet mid-calf in the water - so it was a squelchy, grumpy andy made his way to the old bridge and headed for home.

The pull up from Bolton Abbey was pretty tough, and it's a long time since I've run up there with tired legs.  I used to do all my long runs on this route, and that 2 miles of uphill is hard when you've got 16 miles already in your legs - so no chance of MP miles at the end today.

I did do a couple of sub-8 miles in at the end, but today was just about time on my feet - I ended up doing 16.2m in 2:10, so just over 8 min pace on average, but some quality miles in my legs and a stunning day to be out.

No comments:

Post a Comment