Thursday 7 October 2010

Bike in on a lovely day

Glorious day to ride to work - felt far less grumpy about missing it yesterday as we set off into the rising sun at 7:15.  Definite nip in the air though, and I was grateful for my long-fingered gloves and jacket.  My Hope front light had its first outing of the winter too.

Herb was merciful today and pootled along without leaving me gasping in his wake, and we got into work in a few seconds over the hour.  One fabulous day (of weather - not work) later we set off home, with me feeling decidedly over-dressed in the sunshine.

A truce was declared just outside Tesco - this was not going to be a silly ride home, so we spun nicely up through East Morton and bimbled along to the top of Holden Lane. A swift swoop down and we came across a solitary mountain biker complete with rucsac and baggy pants.  Herb was unable to resist the temptation for a burn-up so we went up through Swartha a touch quicker than I would have liked, but we were soon heading over to Cringles at a more sedate pace, road cycling's honour having been preserved.

We got home in a touch over the hour, so a good 6 minutes slower than last week, but it definitely felt a more relaxed and pleasant trip.  I would have liked to stop to take some photos as the view up Wharfedale as we came over to Draughton was fantastic, with Simon's Seat standing proudly out from the moor.  May just have to have a little run over there this weekend...

Quite possibly my Cannondale's last commute for this year, as my winter bike goes in for its pre-season service on Saturday, so I may well ride to work on that next week.  Maybe I should have some sort of ceremony for my summer bike - although it's done rather less work this year than last.  Looking at my stats from Rubitrack we're just over 3/4 of the way through the year and I've just about done half as many cycling miles as last year.  I am slightly ahead on running though with 78% of the total mileage (but of course this year includes a marathon campaign).

No comments:

Post a Comment