Monday 18 October 2010

MP session in the rain

My first experience of the loneliness of the marathon training runner tonight - all the lads were out at lunch having a sociable time but I was stuck in meetings, so at 5:15 off I went for my first "x in y" MP run.  I start at 4 MP miles in a 6m run and try to build up to a 10 in 12 although 8 n 10 was as far as I got last year before my calf conked out.

So - 4 in 6 it was with the sky darkening and threatening rain.  I decided to start my effort at 0.5m in case it got really dark and I had to do 4 in 5.  My pace judgement's buggered - 6:15 for the first mile before I conciously slowed down.  Then 6:45 (spot on), 6:42 (getting too quick again), 6:32 (wtf??).  Averaged at 6:33 for the 4m, so too quick and no way I want to be running that sort of pace for 8 or 10m, so some judgement work required.  And it pissed down.

Still - I wasn't blowing too hard and my calves are fine, so maybe a return to the track is called for soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment