Saturday 2 October 2010

A little bit more...

After my "cutback" longish runs of 8m and 8.5m last weekend this week it was time to add a bit more on.  Newcastle Thursday saw me out with The Newmanator for a few miles on the quayside before some teambuilding beers with our new Northern Rock Asset Management friends.  We did 5 miles, 4.5 pretty steady ones then Tim got a bit giddy in the last half and we ended up running a fairly quick last bit.

No chance of a run Friday as it was back from Newcastle and K out on the last with the village rounders team, so I had to run today.  Lils' swimming lesson out of the way, then it was off to Silsden for my usual there and back run on the canal.

I'd decided on 14, and a pace of 7:40-7:50 or so.  The first couple of miles along the lane were just over 7:50's, then I speeded up to 7:45 or so for a couple, then I was into the mid-7:30's - I wasn't aware of pushing it but just ran at what felt comfortable.

I'd not been particularly keen to run today, but as I'm now in the "building a base" phase of pre-marathon training training (??) I thought I'd better get out, and I'm glad I did - I turned just the far side of Bingley having put in a 7:27 mile in down 5 Rise and all of a sudden I was on the way back.  I toyed with the idea of another mile to make it a 15, but decided I'd better do as Uncle Terry suggested and build up slowly.  After a slower mile back up 5 Rise I then speeded up some more, so ended up doing a 4 mile faster section culminating in a MP mile of 6:50 during mile 12.  After that it was back to 7:48's for the last couple of miles.

14 solid miles, 7:35 average and a good start to the "base miles" section of my training.  It feels a bit more real now as my "You're In!" mag came this week - as did The Afterburner's!  2 ballot entries, 2 successes - jammy sod.  Hopefully will have someone to do at least some long runs with anyway - although Paul's tendency to (a) do his long runs hideously early on weekend mornings and (b) run them at an unfeasibly fast pace may make that an occasional pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment