Friday 8 October 2010

Longish run - the last one after work?

Got away at about 4.45 today to do a run from Silsden.  Herb was along for the first bit, so by the time we were changed and ready to go it was just after 5 past 5.  Herb was going to run 6m, so I'd have company for the first bit of my run.  I hadn't really decided how far it was going to be, as Terry L had suggested I increase mileage every other week and last week's run was 14m.  I set off unsure as to whether it'd be 10 or 12 miles, and determined that I'd see how I felt at Tesco.

Herb asked me about the planned pace and I said 7:40 would be good, at which he demurred slightly - but of course as always with Andrew he is always going better than he thinks.  The first couple of miles were, as usual, a bit slow, as the first one involves getting going and the other the little slope up to the canal.  Nevertheless we were probably just under 8min miling for this section, then speeded up nicely to a 7:40 for Herb's last mile with me.

He turned at the Riddlesden swing bridge and I carried on towards Bingley speeding up slightly to 7:30 pace to the turn at the top of 5Rise.  I'm not sure when I decided to do 12, but at Tesco I was moving pretty well and there seemed to be enough daylight to get round in, so I carried on.

My HRM has gone bonkers again, so my HR was showing 220+ most of the way round - time for a new one or time to stop bothering?  Anyway - I was feeling fine when I got back to the Tesco road so speeded up.  I've been saying I seem to only have 2 speeds - 7:40+ and 6:30 or better, so I decided to see if I could run at an increased effort without pushing hard - this turns out to be just under 7 min miling - not a bad pace if I can get that a bit quicker come the spring then that could be about marathon pace.



I did a 6:57 and a 6:55, then pushed a bit harder for the last mile of effort and ran a  cheeky 6:38.  That took me to within half a mile of coming off the canal so I finished with a 7:40 and a 7:34 to come in just under the 90 minute mark for 12 miles.  The last mile along the road was fairly hard work, and it getting pretty dark, so my LR next Friday will have to be an early start - I've booked the diary out from 3:30 which should be plenty.

I'll try and get a steady one in tomorrow, then maybe a few miles with The Herb on the bike on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment