Sunday 24 October 2010

A quieter week, but a lovely Sunday

Gorgeous...

Went out with Herb on Wednesday after work for a very steady 5 miles on the canal - probably about 8 min mile pace, chatting away - what some people would call classic "junk miles" but for me is part of getting the old bod used to running most days.

Thursday was a write off, as I left the house at 0630 and got home at 2130 after a full day in London, so my vague plan to run into work before getting the train to Newcastle was a non-starter and I stayed firmly in my pit.

So I was left with the weekend, during which I was honour bound to do some puppy-proofing in the garden, which at the cost of 85 quid I managed to do fairly successfully - we now have a slightly frustrated pup but nevertheless one who won't dig any more soil up of eat any bulbs.

However I did manage a blustery old 5 miles up to Halton East in something just under 40 minutes, with a few miles on the way back down at 7:30 pace which is feeling pretty easy nowadays.

Herb on top of the moor, with Simon's Seat in the background
Herb and I went out on the fell today - Arr (he's called Simon, but he's from Cornwall, see...) had told us about a way of going off-road to Halton East, so we set off across some very poo-ey farm tracks to the Eastby road, then along the lane at the far end of Eastby.  This leads to the ice-cream place near Halton East and from there onto the track up to the fell.  Herb struggled a bit on the uphills, but I felt better than I have recently - maybe I should have gone and done the Within's Skyline!
Embsay Crag looking spiffing as usual
Up on the moor was just glorious - blue sky, a bit of a breeze and everything looking amazingly crisp.  We headed back over Embsay Crag and paused on the top as we spotted K and Nicola plus children on their way up.  We stopped for a chat before descending fairly fast to give a 9m run - and who cares about pace?
Looking down at the rezzie and our approaching children
So no long run this week, but a good 90 minutes or so of running today, and a total for the week of almost 30 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment