Saturday 27 November 2010

Speedy week

Having had an 18 miler in the diary for Friday afternoon, I was expecting this week to be one of high mileage and low pace - wrong...

After my session up in Gosforth on Tuesday I managed a lunchtime run on Thursday - lacking a bit of speedwork (track sessions seem years ago!) I decided to run some half mile reps with shortish recoveries.  The pace turned out to be 5:50-ish, so slower than in my heyday but respectably brisk.

The planned 18 miler on my afternoon off never happened - a Risk Committee meeting mysteriously appeared so I wasn't able to get away til 2 - by the time I'd changed, and got up to Silsden I'd have been struggling to get 18m in, so decided to do a longer tempo type run from work.  8m is the distance if you run to the end of the runnable bit of the towpath and back, so after half a mile I put the pedal down a bit.

Wasn't really sure of the pace, but it turned out to be comfortably hard at 6:50, so I decided to do a longer MP session than of late and see how things turned out.  As it happened I ended up accelerating a bit each mile, so by the end my last mile split was 6:27.  A good session, but I really do have to get a longer run in this week if I'm going to hit my 18 miler by Christmas target.



Rich H had his MRI scan last week, and they seem to now know what the problem with his knee is - torn meniscus and other assorted gubbins, so it looks like a keyhole op should see him sorted.  Hope so - he did amazingly well to go from non-runner to sub-40 10k boy and it'd be a shame if he let all that slip.  Plus I want someone to jog round the Coniston 14 with!

No comments:

Post a Comment