Friday 21 January 2011

Another work week in the bag

Well another week goes by, with a fair bit of travelling (London twice) but a reasonable amount of running fitted in - some of it actually in daylight!

After my longish (8m) lunchtime run on Wednesday, I was in London again on Thursday.  I've become something of a Boris Bike evangelist, so strode purposefully out of Kings X to get my bike to ride down to Aldwych.  No bikes.  Never mind - there'll be some at Grey's Inn Rd.  No bikes.  I carried on down the road to a stand with a few bikes on - not working...

Eventually I picked up a  bike and had an enjoyable (although by this time a bit rushed) ride down to the Strand, where I had exactly the opposite problem - nowhere to dock the bugger.

I then discovered I'd left my electronic key in the docking stand, so had to walk briskly along to Trafalgar Square for my second meeting.  Not the ecologically sound day I had planned.  No matter - my new key arrived today so on Monday, luggage permitting, I'll be back on the bike.

Got home from London about 6 so went out for a crisp, clear, moonlit 4 miler to Halton East.  My new Garmin "hard strap" is working just fine, and my steady pace of about 8:15 saw me average 121.  Nice 'n' low.



Then today's choice was bike in or get another steady lunchtime run in.  A warm bed, -7ยบ outside and a promise of a cold, sunny run meant my bike miles are staying low as my running miles increase.  5m on the canal, an average HR of 131 (despite a big spike at the start) and an average pace of 7:46 saw the mileage for the week go past 30 in 5 days, with Sunday's Brass Monkey to come.  I've no great hopes for Sunday - just a decent warm up and anything reasonably under 90 mins will do - the main thing is to feel comfortable and not do any damage.  This could be my last race before London depending on what I decide to do in March, so it's important to keep my eyes on the main prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment