Sunday 23 January 2011

A decent day at the office




Brass Monkey today, with 31 miles for the week already in the bank.  No intention of going for PB's today - a comfortable run with a respectable time would suffice.  An absolutely perfect day for running, with just the slightest breeze saw me arriving at Knavesmire racecourse for 9am, and wandered into the main stand to pick up my number.

It was bonkers!  Couldn't see which queue to join, but was lucky enough to see Vic right at the front of the V-W queue so he handed my e-mail in to receive...the wrong number...

 Fortunately I'd checked the entry list and handed it back, and duly toddled over to the enquiries desk where I got my number, due to the fact I'd rather foolishly entered twice.

The start was on the main road instead of on the racecourse road, and I only just got back to the car to strip off after a steady 2 mile warm-up.  The start was a bit delayed anyway as the chaos in the bar had meant lots of people were late.

Last year I got caught up in a bonkers chase over the first mile, as several clubmates hared off at sub-6 pace.  This year I couldn't see any red and green vests and went through a mile in about 6:20.  The plan was to run 6:30-ish pace and see where that got me, and for 10 miles it did very nicely indeed.  Never feeling under pressure, none of the "counting down the miles" that I do when I'm pushing - just enjoyable running.

I found myself with a little band of followers from 8 miles, with a group hanging on behind, but nobody wanting to take the front.  They gradually dropped off, but I did start to slow after 10 miles, which I went through in 64 minutes.  Mile 11 was the slowest at 6:36, then a 6:35 and a 6:33 to finish in a couple of seconds over 1:25.



Happy with that, and happy to have come through a 46 mile week with no problems.  Next week's long run is leg 1 of the Pennine Bridleway relay, which I think I'll run there and back to give 17 miles off road.

Wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. Well done today Andy, it sounds like you ran a much more sensible race than I did.

    ReplyDelete