Wednesday 19 January 2011

So...

Right - I promised a bit more detail on where I've been and what I've been up to since New Year, so here we go:

2 Jan - went down to Halton East to give a Christmas week of at least respectability - 32 miles
w/c 4 Jan - Started the week by going on the Harriers "hard run" or Beamsley Bash - Ilkley to the A59 with efforts.  A couple of recoveries, a "5 in 7" MP run and 8 steady miles after work gave me 33 for the week. 28m bike ride with Herb on the Sunday too.
w/c 11 Jan - work conferences all week, but dragged myself out for a "6 in 8" on the wet and windy quayside in the Toon on Monday, a dark 4 m recovery on Tuesday, 8m on the canal on the way home from Leeds on Thursday and a very wet and windy 14 on the canal on Saturday on my way home from signing my life away for a new car - the first one I've had to buy in almost 15 years. 34 miles.

Then this week I've done a cracking headtorch illuminated "6 in 10" on the canal with the effort at a respectable 6:42 average, a late night 4m recovery by moonlight then what started off as a steady 8 today, but ended up with a few faster miles in the second half.

I've also learned a Haka (at work conferences), decided tempo running by headtorch is ok, and discovered that steady 4 and 5 milers aren't junk - they give you mileage (and strength) without strain.  I've bought an old skool Garmin HRM strap (that works, instead of those expensive pieces of junk they sell as "improved" ones) and some new trainers, as well as even more pairs of Nike compression socks.

I shall try to be more dedicated from now on - a steady one tomorrow before a day or wo off before the Monkey on Sunday.

Oh - and yesterday I entered the 3 Peaks Race by accident - 2 weeks after London, so won't be setting any records, but it'll be interesting to see whether I can at least beat the cutoffs...

No comments:

Post a Comment