Sunday 27 March 2011

Not quite done, but nearly...

Well that's the last long one done, and the last week of high(ish) mileage.  It wasn't the 60 miles I had thought I might do, but a decent combination of speedy stuff and long stuff means I'm confident of at least getting another 3:15 and a GFA for 2013 if required (doubtful looking from here, but I said never again in 07...).

Monday saw me heading out onto the canal rather later than I'd intended, and realising that I wasn't going to manage my 10 miler before dark.  I decided that MP miles were important though, so decided that I'd do "6 in 8" instead.  I started the effort after about 3/4 of a mile and ran 6:44, 6:47, 6:35, 6:35, 6:42 and 6:41 - so all well inside even BHAG MP, and not too uncomfortable - still think sub-3 is going to be a bit too tasty come 17/4.

Then Tuesday was a steady 5 miler run a bit quicker than 8 min pace, then Wednesday's run started off as a steady 10 miler, again on the canal.  I'd gone out too late again (thank goodness for the hour going on - no worries about darkness from this week!) so when I turned at 5m I upped the pace a bit, without really meaning to.

I then found I'd run  a 7:14 (having gone out at 7:40) almost without trying, so decided to see how a progressive acceleration would feel.  The next mile was 6:37 and again felt "comfortably hard" as they say, then a 6:23 and finally a 6:04 before a mile or so warm down.  The last mile, despite being quicker than I've run for a while, didn't actually feel eyeballs out, so maybe I've got a bit fitter after all.

Then Friday was Last Long Run Day - with a different approach to previous long ones.  I really wanted to get a run in that went over the 20, and I've been finding the mental effort of my usual out-and-back course pretty tough.  So the plan was to run to Leeds along the canal - I'd hoped the prevailing wind would help, and the thought of all the locks being downhill somehow helped too.

So I parked the car at Steeton station, having decided at the last minute that I wouldn't want to walk the mile or so back to my usual parking spot.  Good plan.  I then set off at a steady pace, not feeling any pressure to push on as this was all about time on feet.

Once I hit the canal I seemed to be miling pretty consistently at just below 7:40 and then once I hit 5 Rise (nice to think I wouldn't be going back up it!) I was nearer to 7:30, still feeling very easy.  Past Shipley I was into new territory - I've cycled along this bit of towpath, but that was years ago, and it's hard trying to work out where you are relative to the roads as the canal stays remarkable rural right into Leeds.



I hit the half marathon point with the watch on 1:40, so only just outside 3:15 pace and feeling very easy.  The only indication I had of how far to go was the milestones by the canal, which were indicating I'd be running about 23 miles to get to Leeds.  I'd sort of hoped for 24, but anything over 20 was going to be a real confidence booster.

I passed through a marina at Rodley, when I knew I must be somewhere close to the Leeds ring road, and that I'd soon be seeing some more familiar landmarks.  I was having to stop to drink as I had a small rucsac on rather than my more usual bumbag, which meant that I was able to take a few photos, including this one that told me I was within 45 minutes or so of finishing.



I never really started to feel it in my legs til about the last mile, which is reassuring given that I was running only a little way outside 3:15 pace.  I finally hit the end of the canal and headed off past the "dark arches", stopping the watch on 23.3 miles in 2:58 - so almost bang on 7:40 pace and feeling pretty easy.

I joined the Friday evening commuters in M&S to buy a monster bottle of banana milk, then hopped on the train back to Steeton with my last proper long run in the bag. 

So how do I feel now that taper time is here?  Well I'm heavier than I want to be, and have done less really big mileage weeks than I would have liked - however I'm not injured (calves are a bit sore today, and I've just done a 18m loop on the bike instead of a recovery run), and I'm very confident that I can go out and run a fairly comfortable 3:15. 

I'll think about what pace to run the race at once I see a weather forecast and the taper has done its magic, but right now I think a PB of 3:05 or just under would be about the best I can hope for -a nd will hopefully not see me too battered for the 3 Peaks a couple of weeks later!

No comments:

Post a Comment