Monday 28 March 2011

Taper time...

When I first trained for a marathon I imagined "the taper" as two or three weeks off, doing no running and eating a lot of carbohydrate.  Well it's not.  What it is is a reduction in mileage but no drop off in intensity - so for the next three weeks my mileage will be around 80%, then 60% then 40% of my "maximum" mileage of about 50-ish.  Had I managed a 60 last week, which was kind of what I had in mind, then the drop off would have been more dramatic, but I'm still intending to do about 40m or so this week.

This week started with a delightful 5 miler on the canal at lunch, with the last of the present sunny days meaning I was overdressed in tights and l/s top.  No pressure to run fast, and still with the last vestiges of Friday's long run making their presence felt, I ran a consistent 7:40 pace, with the HR hardly hitting 130bpm.  All very comfy.

Off to London tomorrow and the hope of an earlyish finish and longer evening light means I can hopefully get a parks run in in daylight - off to check the Serpies' site to suss out the route!

No comments:

Post a Comment