Thursday 8 April 2010

All back together again in the sun

Hinsley and The Newmanator had planned a sneaky speed session after work tonight (they don't fancy going to the track without their dad, apparently) but they didn't take a lot of persuading to go out with me at lunchtime in the decidedly spring-like sunshine.

I'm obviously in full on taper mode but keen to get a few MP miles in, and as my MP miles are a tempo session for Tim he was happy with the idea.  Hinsley wanted to do more of an intervals session but we agreed we'd do a few miles at &:15 or so and then he could thrown in a quickie or two to test his knee out.

We set off, sporting shorts and t-shirts no less, and jogged slowly up to the canal.  We were remarking on how long it is since we've all been out together, and even longer since we've been out in short pants!  Once at the canal I set the pace as I'm the one racing at the weekend.  We ran to the 2 mile point, so 1 1/2 miles of effort, and I managed to keep the pace fairly steady at about 7:10, and my HR down in the mid-130's.  It was definitely warm, but not unberably so, so as long as we don't get a sudden increase in the expected temperature on Sunday (they're currently forecasting 15ยบ and sunny) then I should be ok.

We turned and held the pace, with Hinsley running a brisk sub-6 min mile on the way back and meeting us back at the road.  He was a tad purple by the time he finished, and he rediscovered the joy of large sweat patches on a light grey shirt after his shower - spring's definitely here!

I ended up with 4 miles at an overall average of 7:28 pace, but with 3 miles of effort at 7:11 and an average HR for that section of a pleasing 136 (see below).


I think 7:15 is going to be my starting pace on Sunday, but if it pushes down to 7:10 as long as my HR is 140ish I'm not going to worry.  I'll reassess at half way and if it feels very easy maybe look to push on at some point.  The ideal would be a nice comfortable negative split and a finish time of something under 3:10 - watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment