Tuesday 6 April 2010

Bit of a tempo session

After a bank holiday day off yesterday I decided to have a steady 4 after work tonight.  However buoyed by the excitement of another successful session with John Fizzy (that lad can certainly find the sore bits - he gave my calf a proper going over but it was better after some ultrasound) I decided to do a few quicker miles.

Half a mile jog up to the canal then saw me trying to run to c130bpm heart rate - rather gratifyingly that translates into something around 7:20 pace - boding well for Sunday.  I held that pace, very comfortably, for a mile and a half, then edged the pace up to 6:55 which had my HR at about 140bpm - again comfortably low, and if I didn't know better one that would have been fine for a sub-3 attempt (no no no no no no no!!!).  Then for the last half mile of towpath I put the burners on to see what running fast would feel like, and satisfyingly that proved to be a fairly comfortable 6 min mile pace.  Now it's only for half a mile, but that at least gives me some hope I might run a respectable 5k in a week or two at the John Carr races.

So, a pretty satisfying day all round.  Roll on Sunday...

2 comments:

  1. Andy, Good luck with your marathon on Sunday. It sounds like you're getting back into reasonable shape. Without those weeks of lost training, you'd have been a certainty to run under 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take 3:15 though, Henry - tempting though it is to try and run a 1:33/1:27 or something I think anything around 1:35/1:30 will be more than I expected.

    ReplyDelete