Saturday 3 April 2010

Confidence inspiring canal fun

After my exertions this morning with Lils I went home, ate a pork pie then set off for Silsden for my last long(ish) run of the campaign.  I'd decided that I needed to get some miles in at a respectable pace, so decided to try and run 10 miles or so with 8 at marathon pace of 7:15.  In the event it turned out to be a jog up to the canal at 7:40 pace or so (weird - not much over a year ago I was pleased if my 5 mile runs were at anything under 8 min mile pace...) and then MP running to the top of 5-Rise locks and back, and I'd work out how far it was when I finished.

After some pretty grim weather this morning, and hailstorms when K went out on her bike (the sun shines on the righteous, dear...) I was carrying my waterproof, but it wasn't needed in the end - perfect weather for running, about 10º and little wind.  I went a bit faster than MP as I felt pretty good, and was trying to keep my HR about 145 - in the end as you can see it was slightly higher than that, but I think 146-148 is a level I can sustain for a fair time - my half-marathon HR seems to be something about 155.  The average pace for the MP bit was 7:07, almost 10 seconds a mile quicker than what I'm targeting, with my HR averaging 146 overall, which includes a couple of Garmin comedy spikes.  Splits 3-11 in the table are the 9 miles of effort.
                                                 
I seemed to have various niggly aches from all manner of body parts (all in the lower body, although my left shoulder's sore now - must be my typing).  However the really good news is my left calf was pain free throughout - not even any tightness, which combined with the pace and relative lack of effort gives me confidence for next week.

In fact the only thing that's worrying me now is if my careful fuelling strategy goes wrong and the Ilkley crew somehow miss me as I'm going past - I'll be taking some spare bottles and maybe leaving one or two somewhere so if the worst comes to the worst I might be able to pick one up.

Anyway - apart from a lump-fest on the bike tomorrow and a few shortish runs in the week that's it - I can do no more.  It's frustrating that I missed 4 weeks of decent quality training, but to be honest if all goes ok and I get under 3:15 (I've put 3:08 on Runners' World as my prediction...) I'll feel very lucky given where I was 6 weeks ago.

2 comments:

  1. Well chuffed for you Andy after that month of nonsense with your calf. Hope you have a good one next weeked. Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, will email about sorting out location for drinks for Blackpool. Was thinking that we would park at large car park I think at http://www.multimap.com/s/sh7taUnr
    - just north of Hilton - I think this is before hald and full split for second lap. Paul.

    ReplyDelete