Thursday 15 April 2010

A turn of speed

Went to see John Fizzy today, more out of a desire to get some value out of my BUPA claim, and as expected he didn't really know what to do with me.  Physiotherapy patient.  Just run marathon.  In a 16 minute PB.  No pain from the affected limb.  Hmmmm...

So he put me on a clever machine that showed me my left leg's a bit weaker than my right one, gave me a few exercises and told me (very nicely) to bugger off.  I asked him whether/when I can get back to some more intensive running, and his response was "well, now, really...".

So off I went to the canal for a quick few miles before introducing my lovely daughters to the delights of Indian food.  Lils - tandoori chicken - good, chapati - very good, fudge cake (traditional Indian) - excellent.  Maisie - onion bhaji - ok, korma - good, chapati - very good, ice cream in a plastic cow - stupendous.  Lils first Parkrun Sunday - I think I'm more excited than she is!

Anyway - back to the canal:  I was thinking a 4 miler with the middle 3 at 6:30 pace, but as I accelerated along the towpath I realised I was running at 6:15 pace, so the objective shifted.  By the time the watch beeped the first mile I'd done 6:08.  The gauntlet was down - I didn't want to slow down.  I've just run a marathon, for goodness' sake.  But then again, I have just run a marathon.  Ho hum...

2nd mile 6:07 - but feeling tired towards the end and the HR over 156bpm.  Last mile of effort and still feeling tired, but not slowing particularly.  An effort over the last 400m gave me a third mile of 6:04, and the HR back up at 160.



Actually very pleased with the effort - suggests there's still a reasonable amount of both speed and endurance there, and with John Fizzy's blessing I can get back to the track soon.

I think my programme for the next few weeks (bike rides permitting) will be a track session (maybe shorter reps now the weather's a bit warmer), one 6-8m briskish run midweek and a LR of maybe 12-15 if I can fit it in.  I'll keep doing some slower stuff in between too.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're taking it easy after Blackpool.
    Dead chuffed for you and Sunday's performance, impressed too.

    ReplyDelete