Saturday 10 April 2010

Last minute preparations...

No running since Thursday, as I decided the benefits would be zero and the risks, though slight, are material.  K wanted me to walk to Gargrave and back today and I declined, saying that a 10m walk the day before a marathon isn't a good idea.  So she's taken M & L on her own, but has left me with a significant list of jobs in the garden to do - not sure which is less strenuous, a stroll along the canal or raking the vegetable patch and mowing the lawn!

Anyway, that's all done so I've now just got those last minute things to do - the ones that for a normal 10k you do in the morning (or at the start!) - number pinned on, warm up gear sorted, Garmin charged, socks selected...

I've just filled 4 500ml bottles with my favourite Powerbar energy drink, and elastic banded a Torq gel to each one.  The Afterburner, who was to be my "cornerman" has had a family bereavement so may not be there tomorrow, but Emma, his wife will be there and has stepped into the breach.  I'm also taking a spare bottle and gel and will hide that somewhere near the 7 mile mark just in case they miss me - I'm also going to carry a bumbag with 4 gels in - I can always dump it after the first half lap if the Harriers' table etc is set up by then.

So - that's it - probably the last post til after the race - wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. I'm nervous for you! will have to have another beer.
    Good luck to you - you've earned a good one

    ReplyDelete