Sunday 17 January 2010

The Coniston 14 and a Bit

There'd been a story in the South lakes local paper, the Wezzie Gezzie, that the Coniston 14, one of my favourite races, is under threat because the floods in Cumbria in the autumn had weakened the bridge at Nibthwaite and the council have closed it.  The decision has now been made to simply make us run down to the next one, making it the Coniston Almost 17 - now as this is 2 weeks out from Blackpool, and is undulating, I was looking forward to this as an ideal taper event - but now it's a bit longer, so a bit harder, and I'm trying to think a bit more about recovery - what's a boy to do?

Actually, probably run like buggery and enjoy the day!!

This is a favourite for several reasons - it's near my Mum's, it's near Karen's Mum's, it has amazing views, and particularly because almost every mile of it has memories for me: the Ship Inn near the start where some memorable beers were drunk with good friends, the Church House at Torver where we had the Ulverston MC's 21st Aniversary Dinner (notice a theme?  It's the last pub mentioned!), the gate in the wall by the lake that made my Dad get grumpy with water-skiers when they knocked the wall down and Brown Howe car park where I used to go camping with my Dad.  Then there's Piel Island and "The Bay", where we used to go swimming and canoeing when I was a nipper and finally Thurston, just after Brantwood, where I had my first outdoor ed. job.

How could I not run it?

No comments:

Post a Comment