Wednesday 13 January 2010

A new place to run

Very nearly fell over on my arse this morning when I got out of the car at work, so quite what suggested to Rich and I that we would be able to run a marathon paced session on the canal bank is some way beyond my comprehension - however we got changed and set off with just that intention.

The moment we reached the canal bank it became clear that running of any sort was going to be dodgy, let alone 6:45 pace, so we trotted gingerly along to the next bridge and dropped down to the main road.  The pavements were just as bad, but there's a wide cycle lane which was clear of ice, so we did two lots of "there and back" between the Crossflatts roundabout and the co-op in Riddlesden - this is almost bang on a mile and a half, so I ended up with my 6 mile effort as I hoped for.

The pace was a bit too quick, with miles of 6:48, 6:38, 6:33, 6:34, 6:32 and 6:31, and HR climbing to 169 or almost 90% of max WHR (and hit 180, which is 96%).  This was mainly caused by poor pacing, but also because Rich was dropping back a little, he turned each time I did, so I started each leg a bit behind him and without meaning to pushed a bit to catch up.

In the end I'm happy enough with managing 6m at that pace, but I'm going have to learn what 6:45 feels like consistently.  Going to take my stuff in again in tomorrow and may go to the track if it's open, but more likely I'll get out at lunch and maybe do a tempo session or some hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment