Saturday 16 January 2010

Easy? More HR weirdness.

I decided I'd do what proper runners do and do a few very easy miles recovery this afternoon, after a very chilly 40 minutes watching M & L trot round a barn on horses.  Decided that 4 would be ample, but I'd really work on this s-l-o-w thing, so I kept it very steady out to Halton East.  Checked my HR now and again, and it was bobbling along in the 120's, so all was well.

Turned for home after 2 miles, both of 8mins-odd, and had another glance at my HR as I set off back to see that despite hardly needing to breathe through my mouth my HR was up at 175!  Eh?  This of course became an obsession and I ended up jogging along trying to take a HR from my wrist, to the bemusement of the two guys that do the shortest hill reps session on earth who were just "warming up", before starting their brick hard 6x50m reps or whatever it is they do.




My HR stayed high all the way home, despite me going slower and slower - so I can only assume there's something wrong with the battery - which I've duly replaced.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

4m at about 8:15, with a comedy HR - takes my over 40 for the third week on the bounce.  One or two minor aches, so a non-impact day tomorrow will be good, and I'm going to make contact with "Maggie the Mauler", a sports masseur from Menston to have some preventative rubbing once she's back from her jollies.

Read the Brass Monkey blurb today, and noticed two points of interest - firstly it's chip times, which will be good for such a popular race, and secondly they've stated "strictly no iPods" - which I must say I think is a good idea.  It's a busy race, and you can do without people being unaware of what's going on around them, and secondly the roads are narrow in places and open to traffic.  I suspect there'll be howls of protest from the gym brigade, but no iPods is a rule I'd like to see brought in in all races.

There - I'm now officially a curmudgeonly old bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment