Monday 11 January 2010

Slippery recovery

Back to work on legs that felt remarkably good after yesterday's 20.  A good sign, I hope.  Received an email from Terry this morning telling me that my race times suggest 2:55 should be the target - that would be lovely were it not for the fact that the marathon can be such a tough event, and I know from bitter experience that the read across is not as simple as that - mind you, it's a lot simpler if you make sure you get your long runs in.  Looking back to the year I lined up at London feeling in good shape (but with a sense of impending dread because of the forecast temperature) my 5 long runs were 2x18, 1x19.5 and 2x20 - so short of the 100m total that's recommended as the minimum, and after the 18s my long runs consist of a single 16 miler.  No other runs Jan-race day in double figures - so not surprising I ran out of puff at about 16m.  This time I've already done 2x16, 2x18 and a 20 - and if all goes well I expect to do another 7 or 8 20m+ runs, plus more miles midweek.

Recovery run at lunch today with Rich - we set off to do 5, but the towpath was unpleasantly slippy, despite the thaw beginning, so we bailed out onto the road and finished that way, shortening the run to 4.75m at 8:08.  The slippy sliding has left me with a nagging ache in my groin, so I think I'll take tomorrow off before a MP 6m plus warmup/down on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment