Wednesday 27 January 2010

Eeee, that were 'ard...

New "bling" shoes (Gel Cumulus - half price but very BLUE) finally arrived from Pete Bland's whilst I was in London, so after a couple of days of relatively gently running it was time to do something a little more "meaningful".  I've decided that my three key sessions of the week are my long run, track intervals and a longer midweek run including a reasonable number of miles at marathon pace.  No track this week, and long run on Saturday so I decided to do another 10 miler with 8 at MP.


As I'm running my sessions with MP at a sub-3 pace, that means 6:50 or so, which still feels more like a tempo session than a pace I can keep up for 26 miles at the moment, but hopefully things'll get easier soon.  Anyway - after a day of back to back meetings, all of which were of the "posh" variety so they provided water, I felt appropriately hydrated, and set off towards Riddlesden from work at a steady warm-up pace.  As the clock hit half a mile I picked the pace up and ran up and down the road until I'd done 8 miles at something approximating to MP.  I think I must still have had something of Sunday's half marathon in my legs because it felt very hard to maintain the pace, especially on the slight uphills and into the wind.  I also think I'm getting something a bit yukky on my chest as I've had a slightly tickly throat for a day or two and I was coughing like a good 'un at the end.

Nevertheless, I managed to dig in and hold it together:




As you can see the pace was reasonably consistent, given that it's a slightly undulating bit of road and there was a fair breeze blowing down one way (the 6:40, the 6:39 and the 6:42 were mainly  on downwind legs).

My HR shows how much like hard work it was though:





By the time I got to 5m it was up somewhere near the level it had been in the race on Sunday - which I suspect means I'm either still tired or the little bug I seem to have is affecting me.

Anyway - glad to have got it done, and I'm going to take tomorrow off running, and maybe Friday too if my chest still feels a bit dicky, prior to Saturday's l-o-o-o-ng run with Paul, which is currently scheduled for 22 hopefully flat miles.

2 comments:

  1. Andy that looks like a hard session to do by yourself with the Brass Monkey still in your legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was, Henry, combination of a slight cold and Monkey legs - but no track this week so need a hard session somewhere. Going to try some "lactic threshold" stuff too - 30-40mins of effort at about HM pace (so 6:15ish) apparently.

    ReplyDelete