Monday 1 February 2010

Ambushed at lunch!

Having started to record the mileage of my shoes (OCD? Me?) to avoid getting "Shagged Out Shoes Niggles" (SOSN for short) I realised yesterday that my new Gel Cumulus already have some 41 miles on them.  As I'm still a touch portly at 84kg or so (it's coming down...) I reckon I ought to be doing no more than 400 miles a pair, so they're already 10% of the way through their life.  So I ordered some more - Asics Speedstars, which are a lightweight trainer with (apparently) plenty of cushioning - so somewhere between a race shoe and a training shoe.  And they're yellow!

 
Rich and I decided to get a steady 6m in at lunchtime, a plan almost thwarted by the fact that despite I'd had running shoes on the brain (I've also ordered a cheapy pair of spikes after a chat with Paul The Afterburner on Saturday) I'd gone to work with no running shoes.  Fortunately there's a JJB Sports down the road (sadly there's no sports shops, but needs must) so I grabbed a pair of entry level Asics Patriot for £27 and we were on.
In the changing room we met Chris Tomes (or the BFG as we call him) and another chap, so we were soon four.  As we hit the canal BFG asked if the pace was "a bit too slow" - I, with my structured training head on, answered that if anything it was perhaps a bit fast for what I'd had in mind - so of course they speeded up.

We finished with 5.8m at an average pace of 7:25 - not quite as far, and definitely faster, than I'd had in mind.  Afterwards all of us admitted that the pace had been faster than we'd have preferred - so how did we end up running at that speed?

We did discuss the purchase of running shoes, however, and BFG was recommending a trip in person to SportsShoes Direct in Bratfud - apparently a splendid discount is to be had if you buy more than one pair of shoes, so Hinsley and I determined to pay them a visit next pay day!

Running after work tomorrow - hopefully 8 MP miles out of 10, accompanied by Rich for at least some of it as he builds up to Dewsbury 10k on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment