Thursday 4 February 2010

Back t'track again

My new Saucony spikes arrived at work today, but I was slightly disappointed to find that they're horrendously tight, but, it being 30 years since I've last worn spikes I decided to try them out at the track.  It was closed for most of the day because of snow, but the helpful lads down at Seedhill kept popping out to report back on the thaw, and by mid-afternoon it had all gone.

Just the Newmanator and I tonight, so we started out warm up with a few gentle strides - during which it became clear that my new spikes are just too small and would result in horrid blisters - so I ditched them in favour of my new Speedstars.  These are Asics and they're size 9, so they fit.  I know some people get tied to a certain model of shoe, but as long as it's Asics I'm pretty comfortable a shoe will fit, and these are no exception.

We did a mile and quarter of warm up with a couple of hundred metres of strides, then got on with the session.  As last time Tim was going to do 6x800m off 200's, I was doing 4x1m off the same recovery.

Pleased with the session tonight as I was quicker and yet felt more comfortable than a couple of weeks ago.  Reps were:

Mile 1: 5:54
Mile 2: 5:54
Mile 3: 5:53
Mile 4: 5:49

The 5:49 was a result of a fast last lap, where I was looking to see where my HR would end up - and it peaked at 161bpm.  I think I could be running these reps a bit quicker, as my HR was only about the same level as Brass Monkey (155ish) most of the way round, so I think I may look to take a second or two per lap off next time.  After that I'm going to try and do 5x1m before moving up to 3x2m - if I can do my 2m reps at 6min pace that'll be a real challenge, but should be doable.

The Newmanator did really well tonight - running at c6:40 pace for all his reps - another protege is on the way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment