Monday 8 February 2010

Beer, balls and badinage

Went to Edinburgh for the Scotland-France game yesterday, having watched England beat Wales on Saturday on the telly.  Cracked the first beers on the train on the way up, and then drank beer pretty well constantly until kebab-time.  We had a grand time, having a crack with both Scottish and French supporters - generally a better time than a Twickenham game really, especially as you can walk to and from the ground from the city centre.

Met up with some "characters", including these two gents:























Of course 14 hours of beer drinking, carousing and learning the words to La Marseillaise does not leave the athlete at his best the next day, so it was a fairly groggy man who travelled back this morning.  However as the day wore on my health improved, so about 3 o'clock I decided I'd better make the most of my afternoon off and got my stuff on for a steady 5 miles up to Halton East and back.  Legs seem to have recovered from Friday's exertions, and once I turned for home I put the pedal down a little and ran the last two miles in 6:50 and 6:45, so about marathon pace.

Didn't enjoy it much at the time (specially when it snowed) but I'm glad I made myself go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment