Sunday 21 February 2010

Blackpool Half - another curate's egg...

Photo courtesy of Pat Lonergan

Back from Blackpool, after a worrying evening watching every weather website on the planet.  The RW thread on the event was split 50:50 as to whether it was "irresponsible" to even consider travelling with upwards of 1.5cm of snow on the ground (and none on the roads, as it happened), and those who were in the "the race is on, I've paid, I'm having my money's worth".  I fell, predictably, into the latter camp - perhaps I've been living in Yorkshire for too long?

Anyway - when I go there it was decidedly snowy, but not frozen, and the "lower walk" on the prom (tiddly om pom) looked clear.  I was undecided as to whether it would be good enough underfoot to run fast, so I went and warmed up on the course to have a gander.  I ran out to the 1 mile mark and it wasn't slippy - more slushy melting stuff, so I reckoned that a longish warm up and a "see how it goes" approach was what was required.

At the gun I saw the proper runners whizz off into the distance, but even so went through miles 1 and 2 in 6:01.  Mile 3 had a few funny twists and turns and came in 6:06, but by this time I was running pretty much on my own, as a large pack of runners were some 50yds ahead and I had nobody around me. I decided to run my own race, but gradually people started dropping off the back of the pack and I overtook them one by one - after about 5 miles my place as "1st lady" was assured as I passed the leader of the women's race, then shortly afterwards we turned for the second lap.
The wind didn't feel strong, but it certainly affected the pace as miles 5,6 and 7 were 6:09, 6:14 and 6:18 respectively.  I had harboured vague fantasies of a sub-80, but as the average pace for that is 6:06 that looked to be slipping away.  Nevertheless I had people to chase now and miles 8, 9 and 10 were all sub-6:05, and at the final turn at 10 miles I had one Halifax Harrier in sight.  The wind made its presence felt again and  mile 11 was 6:14, but I felt strong and I reckoned I might well catch the Halifax guy, who by now was only 15yds ahead.

Then at about 11.5m my calf started to tighten - not quite painful, but the early signs that something was amiss.  I eased back a bit and (I think) adjusted my running style and managed to keep it feeling ok, but the pace, and the Halifax bloke, were slipping away.  I did consider stopping, but I had less than amile to go by this time, so hung on with a 6:19 and a 6:21.  As I came round the corner for the finish I could see the clock showing 1:19:56, and with me still 50 yards away the sub-80, though tantalisingly close, was gone.

I finished in 1:20:09 on my watch, no official results as yet - I think I might have sneaked into the top 20, certainly reasonably near the front, although the leader looked to be miles out in front.  My calf was sore, but I don't think it's torn.  A nice first aid lady gave me an ice pack straight away, and I blagged a massage from some college students  who were practising on runners.  4 hrs after the finish my calf's a bit tight but not sore to walk on, so fingers crossed I've not done too much damage.
Feelings after the race?  Chuffed with another PB (by 1:15), and certain there's a sub-80 in there, as when I slowed down I was still feeling really good.  Pissed off if I have to rest this for too long, and slightly irked to be so close to sub-80 and not get it - but telling myself this isn't the main event.

Going to get some ice on my calf tonight, and will take my running stuff to That London tomorrow night, but I don't think I'll do my fitness too much damage if I take a few days off - main thing is to make sure it's right before pushing it again.  A 4m warm up makes it 17 for the day and just over 45m for the week - not bad for a "cutback" week!

Hot news:  in the official results I would appear to have sneaked a top 20 place in 18th, the time of 80:09 is confirmed and (get this!) I was the 1st V45.  Clever old me.  Clever even older Terry was 2nd V60 as well if I've read the results right.  And calf update:  lots of ice and a compression bandage seem to be doing the trick, but I've decided not to run til at least Wednesday, and maybe leave it til my long one on Friday.  Certainly no track this week to give it its best chance.

1 comment:

  1. Andy, what a great time in conditions that can't have been perfect and with your bad calf playing up! Fantastic stuff! Puts you in a great position for your return to Blackpool in 2 month's time, and registering some great times on powerof10 is only a whisker away.

    ReplyDelete