Wednesday 24 February 2010

Not yet...

After a couple of days off I decided to give my now pain-free calf a run out at lunch.  All was going swimmingly for a mile then I felt the familiar tightening and soreness - not ready yet, sadly.  I just jogged back to work, doing a princely 2 1/4 miles in about 17 minutes - 7:45 pace.  This is going to be a very short week!!

It's definitely not as bad as last time I did the other calf as I've not felt that horrible tearing sensation, but it's definitely not right either.  I'll leave it til Friday and then see how I feel about a shortish run (will have to sack the long one unless there's a miraculous recovery) but if necessary I'll leave it a week.

I've plenty of time left (6 weeks on Sunday) and I've got a big enough base in so that as long as I'm running again by the end of next week I don't think I'll suffer at all.  If needs be I'll shorten the taper to a couple of weeks and run Coniston longer and slower than I intended.

As a precaution I've put in a call to Mike and Jane B at Ilkley Physio, but I've not managed to speak to them yet - if "rest" is the only treatment I don't want to bugger about with anything else, but if there is a way to accelerate the process then I'll give it a bash.

2 comments:

  1. Andy

    I hope that your calf injury isn't too bad, you're really flying at the moment & it would be a pity if your marathon training gets disrupted. Great run on Sunday, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta - spoke to Mike B tonight - he reckons a few days' rest will sort it and do no damage to my fitness. Main thing is to get back in the saddle in a week or so.

    ReplyDelete