Monday 14 December 2009

Accidental tempo running

Took my stuff into work today for a nice steady 5 mile recovery run, as lunchtime running this week may be a little tricky due to shopping, London, biking and curry all taking their share of my time this week.

Set off up to the canal intending to run about 8 min mile pace, but shortly after turning onto the towpath I spotted the tell tale luminous green of a runner in front.  Incapable of doing anything but chasing my pace increased, expecting to overhaul the sweating tubbster within half a mile or so and then revert to recovery pace having shown him or her what a proper runner looked like.

Sadly as my watch bleeped to tell me the expected half mile of effort was over he/she/it hadn't got noticeably closer.  The next mile went past in 6:40, and although I was gaining it was clear I wouldn't be reeling in my prey until very close to my turn round point at 2 1/2 miles.  As I approached the swing bridge at Riddlesden my quarry was still a hundred metres or so ahead and clearly carrying on - I decided that as I had a 1pm meeting I'd better turn round.  I also decided that as this had turned into more of a tempo run and I was feeling ok I'd carry on, so I put in another two 6:40 miles before slowing down for the last bit back down to work.

Idly blog-browsing this evening I find that none other than Henry Heavisides, fellow Harrier, was also out for a run on the canal, and running his half marathon preparation long run at about 7:15 pace - so unsurprising I didn't catch him over the course of a couple of miles when he had a 1/4m start.

Anyway - left calf's a bit sore now, but no real damage done.  Concerned to find I've put on about half a stone in recent weeks with the bulk of the festivities to come.  On Friday I have a double curry day, with our team lunch at the Aagrah in Shipley then another curry there in the evening followed by beers in Bingley.  Have decided to take it easy on the curry Friday lunch then get a run home in - that should hopefully burn off my lunchtime bhajis and allow me to indulge in the evening with the calorie counter back to zero.  That's the theory anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment