Sunday 13 December 2009

Langdale 10k

Set off this morning for the Lakes after a poor week of training and a good (?) week of drinking.  Also got some very good news at work on Thursday which probably added a beer or two to the total.  Anyway - I decided it's Christmas, it's in God's Own County and if nothing else we have a designated driver (Vic, Aussie bloke, figure of fun and all round good egg) so we'll have a beer afterwards.

Arrived at the New DG and got parked up and after a usual toilet visits, debates on how many clothes to wear Rich and I set off for a warm up.  This was pretty unstructured by recent standards, but I didn't feel any niggles so just did a few strides and made sure everything was loose.

I've got stuck at the start of this one before, so I was quite assertive in not moving back from the line when all the latecomers try to join at the front.  Got away well, and was surprised to see that firstly I was somewhere in about the top 15 or so, and secondly that the other 14 weren't disappearing off up the road as quickly as I expected.

I was passed early on by a guy from Dewsbury Harriers I recognise, and thought to myself that that was any vague hope of being in the prizes gone - he's in my category and seems to be a fair bit quicker than me.

The hill on the outward leg seemed to be over quickly, and I only dropped to a 6:14 mile for mile 2.  Mile 3 was back nearer 6:00 again, then we were on the return, and in my opinion harder, leg.  We went through 5k in 18:30, so I guess breaking 37 was just theoretically possible, but I don't think this is a negative split course.

I was by this time with a group of maybe 6 or 7 guys, and I decided to actually "race" instead of just "run", so I pushed on a bit for half a mile and was pleasantly surprised to see we were now just 3.  I had seemed stronger than both the other guys on the hills, and as all of mile 3 and half of mile 4 is uphill I decided this was my chance.  I managed to get away from one of them, but the other one was doggedly staying with me, even coming past on the downhill sections.

I realised I was going to have to run a fairly fast last mile, so dug in and pushed the pace up again.  It worked!  The heavy breathing that'd been with me from about 2 miles in was fainter, and I finished 4 or 5 seconds up in 37:52, a time that I'm pleased with on a hilly course.  I was also very chuffed to come 9th out of 380 finishers, which I think is my first top 10.

Rich had a brilliant run to break 40 for the first time with 39:41.

No comments:

Post a Comment