Tuesday 15 December 2009

Solo track session - good for the soul...

A day shopping in Leeds with m'lovely wife today - well more accurately a day shopping in Leeds whilst m'lovely wife was also shopping in Leeds.  We met up briefly for lunch then separated again.  I spent a fair bit of time in Up 'n' Running, Cotswold Outdoor and various bookshops.  I did venture in the occasional present buying emporium, but being a bloke all my Christmas shopping took less than an hour.

As I know I'm going to struggle to get much running in for the rest of the week I decided to use the last part of the day to grab a quick track session, but of course normal track chum Rich was still at work so I found myself down at Nelson on my own.

There was a guy (who I now know to be called Mark) doing some sprint training, but I was going to do my  intervals session on my own.  After a mile warm up and half a dozen 100m strides I decided on a 6x800m session with 200m recoveries.  It's a bit shorter than ideal (8 is maybe better) but K is out tonight at college so I needed to get back, and anyway being on my own I wasn't sure how I felt about a long session.

The first lap was, as always, too fast (82s) but having done this session running with Rich a week or two ago at 3:00 per rep I wanted to see if I could go a bit faster.  The second lap was 86, so "on the run" I decided 2:50 (or 5:40min mile pace) would be my target - I'd initially thought 2:55 but I was in the mood for pain!

In the event I managed it (although I think I'd struggle to do a full 8x800m at that pace):

1st rep 2:48
73s recovery
2nd rep 2:49
72s recovery
3rd rep 2:49
73s recovery
4th rep 2:49
71s recovery
5th rep 2:50
74s recovery
6th rep 2:48

This felt hard, and it's quite unusual for the 2nd to last rep to be my slowest, although both laps were 1:25, as by then the end's in sight and I usually speed it up a bit.  The last lap was tough, and my HR hit 170 - which I'm convinced is pretty much my max, so these readings of 178 and beyond during long runs are wrong, I reckon.

Had to share this simply fab notice on the door at Seedhill track in Nelson, setting out their Christmas "opening hours":




London tomorrow, so no running, then hopefully bike to work Thursday if the weather plays ball (although I think it's going to be a chilly one)...

No comments:

Post a Comment